Painted Bathroom Faucets & Shower Enclosure


Painting outdated bathroom faucets and shower frames is certainly possible, but it’s definitely more involved than I had ever imagined. The painting wasn’t the problem. The prep, the taping, the papering, the covering everything in sight…that took forever!!
Here are the products I used:  220 grit sandpaper, #000 steel wool, painters tape, Rust-Oleum automobile primer, and Rust-Oleum Universal spray paint in oil-rubbed bronze. 
After all of the surfaces were sanded, I went back over it with #000 steel wool.  Then I used a damp cloth and removed all of the dust from the surfaces. The next step was to do all of the detail taping with painters tape. Next, I covered all of the surrounding areas with drop cloths, i haven't painted the walls yet so i didn't worry about over spray on them. After everything was taped off, I used the Rust-Oleum automobile primer.   When using spray paint, it’s imperative to use it according to the directions!!  Each brand may be a bit different.  If it says to apply a second coat within one hour or after 48 hours, it means apply a second coat within one hour or after 48 hours. When the primer was dry, I applied the first coat of Rust-Oleum Universal in oil-rubbed bronze.  Then I waited 48 hours, and applied a second coat.  At the same time I sprayed the faucet inside, I also sprayed the handles and the drain plug outside, using the same method .Then I carefully removed the paper and all of the painters tape.  
i should of taken more pictures but this is what i got. 


Now moving on to the shower enclosure and the parts to the tub.  Did i mention i removed the jets from the tub because they were eroded and now they have been discontinued. Story of my life. 

Comments

Popular Posts